Welcome to the Department of Physical Education, Wellness and Sport website. It is our hope that one may find answers to questions concerning our profession along with the majors we offer. These majors are physical education with teaching licensure, exercise science/wellness, athletic training education, and sport management with emphases in communication, marketing, and ministry. All majors are 21st century job-market focused with preparing students in mind. read more
We only touch the surface with listing potential job opportunities such as:
- Physical Education, Sport Instruction, Coaching, Sports Officiating, and Sport Psychology
- Sport Marketing and Management
- Sport Medicine
- Pre-Professional Training for Allied Health Sciences
- Higher Education
Come join over 175 majors in a dynamic department and profession. We encourage students to become involved in our student organizations while learning alongside a great teaching faculty, including four who hold a doctorate. Please do not hesitate to contact any of our faculty for more specific information on our department.
Dr. Linn Stranak, Chair
- Behind the Scenes: Union hosts NCAA Division II women’s tournament, by Chelsea Cobb, Cardinal & Cream, March 17, 2015
- Dr. Julie Powell presented on the topic "Using Sport Simulations in Sport Management Education" at the 2015 Southern Sport Management Conference in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Jackson Sun article "Union group helps out at championship game" (January 17, 2015)
- With a sports and culture theme for the fall of 2014, Union's Town and Gown Lecture Series will be featuring several members of the PEWS faculty. The series runs October 13 - November 10. For more information, please visit http://www.uu.edu/events/townandgown/
- Krister Andreassen, a May 2014 graduate, has been awarded a graduate teaching position at Belmont University for the fall of 2014 where he will be pursing a Master in Sport Administration degree. Andreassen was also asked to work the U19 European Championships for the Norwegian Football Association.
- Cody Self, a May 2014 graduate, has been awarded a graduate assistantship position at Eastern Kentucky University.
- LeAnn Childress PT/ATC,
Director of Sports Medicine for Sports Plus Rehabilitation in Jackson, Tennessee
coordinated an event on Monday, March 24, 2014 to recognize and promote the
athletic training profession in the Jackson metro area and West Tennessee.
Cliff Pawley Ed.D., ATC, Program Director, Union University Athletic Training Education; Mr. Jerry Gist, Mayor- City of Jackson; Leigh Ann Wright M.S., ATC, Sports Plus Sports Medicine Coordinator; Mr. Jimmy Harris, Mayor-Madison County; Keith Murray M.S., ATC, Clinic Director, Star Physical Therapy, Lexington.
- Sport management major Brett Botta has been awarded a full scholarship to the Sport Administration Master's Program at the University of North Carolina which selects only nine students nation-wide out of 150 candidates. Botta will serve as a Teaching Assistant (TA), assist UNC personnel in game operations, plan and execute ACC and NCAA championship events, assist during meetings regarding eligibility, drug education, and counseling, and learn the NCAA Compliance software.
- Union University’s Athletic Training Education Program and the The Department of Physical Education, Wellness and Sport is proud to recognize the accomplishments of Dionna Linn, recipient of the 2013 Tennessee Athletic Trainer’s Society (TATS) Undergraduate Scholarship
- Dr. Matt Brunet presented at the 2012 TAPHERD Convention in Murfreesboro on the topic of The Impact of Intercollegiate Athletics on Undergraduate Enrollment at a Small, Faith-Based Institution
- Physical Education major, Cristin Sullivan, was selected for the 2011 Southern District AAHPERD Future Professional Leadership Conference in Johnson City, Tennessee
- Dr. Matt Brunet has submitted the article "The Impact of Intercollegiate Athletics on Undergraduate Enrollment at a Small, Faith-Based Institution" for publication in the Journal of Sport Administration and Supervision
- Dr. Linn Stranak was named to the Constitution Committee of TAHPERD and his research has been accepted for presentation at the state convention.