Union University seeks qualified individuals for two full-time, tenure-track faculty positions of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry in the Department of Chemistry.
***Note: This position begins Fall 2014 pending funding.
Union University is a private, coeducational liberal arts-based university offering bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. The campus is located in Jackson, Tenn. (80 miles northeast of Memphis) with additional campuses in Germantown and Hendersonville, Tenn. Union University currently enrolls more than 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 40 states and 30 countries. Union University stands as a national leader among colleges and universities in promoting a Christian worldview and a Christ-centered approach to education. Union is consistently ranked among the nation’s premier Christian universities and has been recognized as a top tier institution each year since 1997 by U.S. News & World Report, which also recognized Union at a national level for undergraduate teaching excellence. Union was also recently recognized by the Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For,” one of only 30 four-year institutions to receive this honor roll designation.
Both positions will be responsible for teaching courses in their respective disciplines and mentoring undergraduate research students. Duties include:
· Teach a full-time load of chemistry courses. Design and deliver class instruction through the development of instructional plans to meet course competencies and the development of activities, which support both lesson objectives and critical thinking skills.
· Conduct laboratory instruction conforming to best practices including those for safety. Obtain laboratory equipment and supplies for instruction including undergraduate research. Direct and supervise undergraduate research.
· Maintain regular office hours for student accessibility.
· Make relevant and realistic course assignments.
· Participate on university committees as assigned. Participate in program planning and School/Department standing and ad hoc committees as designated by the Dean.
· Participate in professional organizations and scholarly activities. Attend professional meetings, workshops, and/or conventions.
· Maintain a commitment to academic scholarship through the engagement of intellectual inquiry to further the field of chemistry.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a minimum of a Master’s degree in Chemistry with an emphasis in Organic Chemistry and a Master’s degree in Chemistry with an emphasis in Biochemistry for the faculty positions in Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, respectively, is required. For both positions, preference will be given to candidates holding a Ph.D. in Chemistry.
Interested individuals may access an application below. Send the completed application, resume, three letters of reference, and a letter expressing interest to: Director of Human Resources, Union University, 1050 Union University Drive, Jackson, TN 38305, or by fax to 731-661-5177, or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women and minority candidates are encouraged to apply