Union University seeks two (2) qualified individuals for the positions of Housekeeper/Custodian.
Union University is a private, coeducational liberal arts-based university offering bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. The campus is located in Jackson, Tenn. (80 miles northeast of Memphis) with additional campuses in Germantown and Hendersonville, Tenn. Union University currently enrolls more than 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 40 states and 30 countries. Union University stands as a national leader among colleges and universities in promoting a Christian worldview and a Christ-centered approach to education. Union is consistently ranked among the nation’s premier Christian universities and has been recognized as a top tier institution each year since 1997 by U.S. News & World Report, which also recognized Union at a national level for undergraduate teaching excellence. Union was also recently recognized by the Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For,” one of only 30 four-year institutions to receive this honor roll designation.
Current openings are for the evening shift, from 3:00 to 11:00 p.m. Most work is performed inside; however, some projects may require going to locations both on and off campus. Housekeepers are responsible for all general cleaning including the following:
- Adhere to all safety standards, work practices, policies and procedures established by the University, Manager of Facilities, and supervisor.
- Sweep; mop; scrub floors, stairs, and other flooring surfaces; use light and heavy floor machines and attachments; scrub, strip, wax, and polish floors using industrial type powered scrubber, buffer, and burnish.
- Vacuum carpet in offices, classrooms, and public areas; shampoo carpet when directed by housekeeping supervisor.
- Clean and dust furniture, exhibit cases, pictures, door trim, etc. as directed.
- Clean hallways, entryways, lounges, and custodial closets as directed.
- Adjust, oil, and clean scrubbers. Change brushes, pads, and other attachments.
- Wash windowsills, glass, and trim in corridors and entry ways.
- Wash and/or spot clean walls, working on ladders as required.
- Fully clean and service all lavatories and toilets in restrooms daily.
- Collect trash and debris, place in collection area for removal; clean wastebaskets and replace liners.
- Report items that need repair (lights, ceiling tile, doorstops, outlets, etc.); change light bulbs inside facilities as directed.
- Work special events and Saturdays as assigned.
The benefits package includes paid vacation and holidays, medical, dental and vision insurance, and a generous retirement plan.
Must be able to read, write, and follow oral and written instructions. High school diploma or GED equivalent is desirable, but not required. Preference will be given to applicants with janitorial/housekeeping experience. Should be well organized and able to prioritize work.
Successful candidates must be professing Christians who are active members of a local church, enthusiastically support Union University’s Identity, Mission and Core Values, and articulate a Christian worldview in their work and life.
Physical requirements include: the ability to bend, stoop and lift a minimum of 25 pounds: have average strength and be able to stand or walk for prolonged periods of time; able to climb stairs or ladders; and the ability to transport moderately heave equipment to and from buildings.
Interested individuals may access an application below. Send the completed application, resume, and a letter expressing interest to: Human Resources, Union University, 1050 Union University Drive, Jackson, TN 38305, or by fax to 731-661-5177, or via E-mail to email@example.com .
Apply for this Staff Position