Union University seeks a qualified individual for the position of Cataloging Associate for its Emma Waters Summar Library.
Union University is a private, coeducational liberal arts-based university offering bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. The campus is located in Jackson, Tenn. (80 miles northeast of Memphis) with additional campuses in Germantown and Hendersonville, Tenn. Union University currently enrolls more than 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 40 states and 30 countries. Union University stands as a national leader among colleges and universities in promoting a Christian worldview and a Christ-centered approach to education. Union is consistently ranked among the nation’s premier Christian universities and has been recognized as a top tier institution each year since 1997 by U.S. News & World Report, which also recognized Union at a national level for undergraduate teaching excellence. Union was also recently recognized by the Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For,” one of only 30 four-year institutions to receive this honor roll designation
This position is responsible for supporting the accurate cataloging and processing of all library materials and provides support to the technical services librarian. Duties include:
- Performs copy cataloging for all newly acquired materials using OCLC Connexion browser.
- Performs copy cataloging for archival materials and special collections.
- Searches OCLC for appropriate bibliographic records and edits master records as needed and creates local holdings records.
- Evaluates bibliographic records previously selected by acquisitions and edits or replaces them as needed.
- Withdraws items from the catalog and oversees withdrawal and disposal of materials from the library.
- Supervises student employees who work in technical services; trains student employees to complete physical processing of library materials, perform onsite repair of all materials, perform basic data entry, assist with inventory work, collection analysis, materials withdrawal and other technical services projects, updates and maintains the “new books” shelving area.
- Re-catalogs or reprocesses existing items as required.
- Resolves cataloging discrepancies for circulation.
- Evaluates damaged items for withdrawal, replacement, repair or commercial binding.
- Assists cataloging librarian with annual inventory reports and maintenance; maintains monthly reports of items added and withdrawn from the library collections; submits timely collection data for inclusion in library reports and surveys.
- Maintains local holdings records for e-books and streaming media.
- Prepares and reports orders for cataloging supplies to the library’s administrative assistant.
- Keeps Technical Services workroom cabinet neat and organized.
Other Job Functions
- Typically works a weekday schedule; works a flexible schedule that may include evening and/or weekend hours occasionally.
- Engages in a planned process of professional development.
- Cross-trains and assists with special projects with other department staff.
- Other duties as assigned, including staffing the library’s main service desk.
Graduation from an accredited college or university or a combination of four years of college education and professional work experience is required. Good communication skills and the ability to work successfully in a team environment are also required. Preference will be given to candidates with coursework in cataloging, including coverage of RDA, Dewey Decimal system, LC cataloging and classification. Preference will also be given to applicants with experience working in a library or information center.
Successful candidates must be professing Christians who are active members of a local church, enthusiastically support Union University’s Identity, Mission and Core Values, and articulate a Christian worldview in their work and life.
Interested individuals may access an application below. Send the completed application, resume, and a letter expressing interest to: Human Resources, Union University, 1050 Union University Drive, Jackson, TN 38305, or by fax to 731-661-5177, or via e-mail to email@example.com.
Apply for this Staff Position