Union University

Student Services

Student Services

Disability Services > Student FAQ

Students Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Should I tell about my disability on my application to college?
    You are not required to disclose your disability at any time and the college is prohibited by Federal law from asking you about a disability on the application form. Union University will not discriminate against you due to your status as a disabled individual. If you choose not to disclose your disability during the application process, we encourage you to do so very soon after you have been admitted to Union University. By doing this, the Office for Disability Services will be able to best support your needs as you enter and transition into a college setting.
  2. What kinds of accommodations are offered?
    Accommodations are individualized to address specific functional limitations resulting from a disability. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to:
    • Books on Tape or E-Text
    • Note taking support
    • Reduced Testing Environment
    • Extended Testing Time
  3. How do I register with the Office for Disability Services at Union University?
    If you are currently registered for classes at Union University, you can request accommodations online through the Union Portal. For more information on how to secure your UU email and password, please visit the Information Technology website. After filling out the online application and uploading your medical documentation, you will continue with step 3 of the accommodation process. If you are a prospective student seeking to start the request process for accommodations before officially registering for classes can fill out and submit the paper application forms at the How to Request Accommodations page.
  4. When should I register and request academic accommodations?
    Although you may request an academic accommodation from Union University at any time, you should request it as early as possible. Some academic accommodations may take more time to provide than others. We strongly encourage new students with disabilities to register the summer before they arrive, ideally by June 1st.
  5. If I register with the Office for Disability Services, will it show up on my academic record?
    No, confidentiality is a top priority. A registered disability will not appear on any transcripts, grade reports, or diplomas.
  6. As a student with a disability leaving high school and entering a university, will I see differences in my rights and how they are addressed?
    Yes, unlike your high school, college students with disabilities are required to proactively seek out accommodations from the Office for Disability Services. The responsibility to provide appropriate academic accommodations, after a student properly registers with the Office for Disability Services, still belongs to the university. These accommodations may differ from those provided during K-12 because a university must ensure that accommodations do not fundamentally alter any course.
  7. I was diagnosed with a learning disability/ADHD when I was much younger, why should I be retested?
    By providing a current assessment of your performance and abilities, the Office for Disability Services will be able to best support your needs as a student at Union University. Also, the provision of all reasonable accommodations through the University is contingent upon a review of the current impact a disability has on your academic performance. This means that a diagnostic evaluation needs to be less than three years old.
  8. What are my responsibilities every semester in order to receive accommodations?
    As a student with a disability, you are responsible for initially registering with the Office for Disability Services before your first semester, ideally by June 1st. After the initial semester, you will need to fill out a Request for Letter of Accommodation at the beginning of every semester. You will then be responsible for emailing your instructors and attaching the letter of accommodation. Templates are available on the Office for Disability Services web site to assist in writing your instructors concerning accommodations.
  9. Who will communicate to my instructors that I have accommodations?
    As a student, you ultimately have the responsibility of communicating to your instructors about needed accommodations. Students are responsible for requesting a Letter of Accommodation at the beginning of following semesters. The Director of the Office for Disability Services will then email the student with an attached letter stating the approved accommodations. Students are then responsible for emailing their instructors and attaching the letter of accommodation. The letter of accommodation acts to facilitate a discussion between you and your instructor.
  10. I have a temporary disability. Can you help me? What services might be available?
    Services for students who are temporarily disabled are available. The application process is the same. If, for example, you injured your dominant hand, we may work to find an assigned note-taker for your classes.
  11. I have a documented disability that may prevent me from going to class.
    Attendance policy is determined by each instructor and absence from class cannot be excused as an accommodation since it fundamentally alters the course. We may be able to provide a confirmatory statement upon request advising that your disability may impact attendance, but decisions regarding attendance policy are made by the instructors in accordance with their syllabus.
  12. What do I do if I am taking summer classes and will need to receive accommodations?
    As soon as you know you are taking classes in the summer at Union University, request a letter of accommodation through the office website. If you have not yet registered with the Office for Disability Services please do so as soon as possible so that the Director can process the application and documentation in a timely manner. Please keep in mind that some accommodations take additional time to coordinate. If you take a course off campus, accommodations will be provided by the host college/university.
  13. I have been approved for assistance with note-taking, how do I get a copy of class notes?
    If you have been officially approved for note-taking assistance, you may formally request a note-taker for specific classes by filling out the Note-taker Assistance Form.

Quick Links

Disability Services
Printable Forms
Frequently Asked Questions
Meet the Staff
  • Jon Abernathy, M.S.Ed.Jon Abernathy, M.S.Ed.
  • Director
  • Office: PAC F-19
  • Phone: 731-661-6520
  • Fax: 731-661-5187
  • E-mail: jabernathy@uu.edu
  • Box: 1806
Location and Hours
  • 1050 Union University Drive, Jackson
  • Penick Academic Complex, Hallway F, Room 19 (Between Union Station and the Library)
  • 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday - Friday

Excellence-Driven Christ-Centered People-Focused Future-Directed

Apply to Union Campus Visits Give to Union