Barnabas Leadership Award
In Partnership with the Moore and Barney II Foundations, Union established the Barnabas Leadership Award to recognize students who have demonstrated
leadership in the area of community and ministry service. Juniors who have demonstration significant leadership skills and a willingness to serve the
campus and community are nominated by faculty, staff or students. To confirm the eligibility of a junior, please contact Jared Dauenhauer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Two recipients are named by the Barnabas Award Selection Committee and are awarded $500. The recipients are asked to give at least $100 of their award to a
charitable agency of their choice.
2014 Barnabas Leadership Award winners:
- Erin Allen is a Social Work major from Brentwood, TN. During her time at Union, she has been actively involved with RIFA (Regional Interfaith Association), where she has served as a mentor and the End Slavery TN movement, where she serves as an educator. In addition, Erin is a Residence Advisor at Union and serves over 40 women living in the residence complexes. Erin states that "a servant leader is someone who not only leads by example, but someone who serves others in a way that shows the love of Christ."
- Andrew Stricklin is from Paducah, KY and is Chemistry major. Andrew has served as a Young Life leader since August 2011, where he leads weekly team meetings for high school students. He also leads a weekly bible study for these students during early mornings before school begins. His involvement with Young Life involves developing relationships beyond these activities, attending camps, participating in staff meetings, and discipling individual students. In addition, Andrew is actively involved with his church, City Fellowship and serves as a Focus (New Student Orientation) leader on campus.
2013 Barnabas Leadership Award winners:
- Savannah Hari is a Sports Medicine major from Brentwood, TN. During her time at Union, she has been involved in several mission trips to Belize, Romania and Haiti. Through involvement with her sorority, Chi Omega, where she currently serves as President, Savannah has spent significant time each year organizing fundraisers to raise money for the Make-A-Wish program. She has also helped coordinate several wish grantings for children in the community. In addition, Savannah has served at RIFA, at her local church as a Sunday School teacher, volunteered with Room in the Inn, and at various nursing homes and BirthChoice. Savannah has chosen to designate a portion of her award to myLifespeaks.
- Caleb Creel is a Theology major from Greer, SC. Since 2010, Caleb has volunteered with the Trinity Christian Academic YoungLife. Each week, Caleb spends time building relationships with students and leads music at weekly meetings. In addition, Caleb volunteers with the youth group at his church, First Baptist Jackson. He has also served as a leader for Disciple Now, and is a member of the Union University Cross Country team. Caleb states that a servant leader "is a person who cares for the people around them with the love of Christ and desires to impact the lives of these people with the same willingness that Jesus had in His life on earth." Caleb has chosen for a portion of his award to be given to Jackson Younglife.
The Presidential Homecoming Cup
The Presidential Homecoming Cup is also awarded each year during Homecoming. This award honors the student organization with outstanding service.
To apply, download and submit the application by the appropriate date.
2014 Homecoming Award Winners:
- Presidential Homecoming Cup Award: Zeta Tau Alpha in recognition of their overall excellence in service
- Community Involvement Award: Lambda Chi Alpha for their service events raising money for the American Cancer Society
- Decade of Service: Kappa Delta for their ongoing work with the Carl Perkins Center and Prevent Child Abuse America
2013 Homecoming Award Winners:
- Presidential Homecoming Cup Award: Enactus in recognition of their innovative educational projects and overall excellence in service
- Community Involvement Award: Chi Omega for their service events raising money for the Make-A-Wish foundation
- Decade of Service: Lambda Chi Alpha for their ongoing work with the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life
2011-2012 Homecoming Award Winners:
- Presidential Homecoming Cup Award: Zeta Tau Alpha for their fundraising and programming efforts for the breast cancer awareness
- Champion for Change Award: International Justice Mission for their fundraising efforts to provide voices for causes outside the mainstream spotlight
- Decade of Service Award: Chi Omega for their ongoing service and commitment to the Make-A-Wish foundation
2010 Homecoming Award Winner:
- Presidential Homecoming Cup Award: Lambda Chi Alpha for their work with the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life