Union University

Union Athletics

Athletics News Release

No. 3 Union Tops No. 1 Mountain State 104-98 in overtime

JACKSON, Tenn. - 1/7/2006 - The Union University Bulldogs continued their blast through the toughest schedule in the country as they topped No. 1 Mountain State University (W. Va.) on the road 104-98 in overtime. For Union, ranked No. 3 in the nation, this marked their ninth win in 14 games over a ranked team this season, with seven of those wins coming on the road. Union still has five straight games coming up that are versus teams either ranked or receiving votes in the national polls. Union improved to 13-1 on the season, while Mountain State fell to 13-1 overall.

In the first half, Union jumped out to an 11 point lead. However, the Cougars closed out the half with a 9-0 run to cut Union’s halftime lead to just two points at 36-34.

Mountain State came out firing in the second half led by the efforts of Mersad Terzic, who made eight three pointers in the game. The Cougars stretched their lead to 10 points, which was their biggest of the game. Union slowly battle back and cut the Mountain State lead to just one point with 3 minutes left. Mountain State still led by one point at 83-82 under a minute. Union’s Deywane Lee missed the front end of a one-and-one with a chance to tie or take the lead. Mountain State’s Terzic hit a three pointer with 40 seconds remaining to put the Cougars up by four, 86-82. Union Kinley Sellers promptly hit a three pointer of his own with 28 seconds left to cut the lead to just one at 86-85. Sellers made 8-of-12 three pointers in the game. Mountain State’s Rodney Epperson made two free throws with 25 seconds left to put the Cougar lead back to 88-85. Union’s Mack Bealim then scored a basket on driving lay up to cut the lead back to just one point at 88-87. Union put Mountain State back on the free throw line as Maurice Davis made one of two to stretch the Cougar lead to 89-87. Union’s Corey Burkett came down and missed a three pointer that would have given the lead, however, Ben Frederick of Union grabbed the rebound and put it back to tie the game with 1.7 seconds remaining. Mountain State’s Terzic missed a three pointer at the buzzer as the game went to overtime.

In overtime, Union came out with a quick four point lead at 97-93. Mountain State cut the lead to 97-95 with just under two minutes left. Union’s Sellers then made a three pointer as he was falling away to give Union a 100-95 lead with 38 seconds left. Mountain State missed a three pointer. Union’s Cooper was then fouled and made one of two free throws to stretch the Union lead to 101-95 with 14 seconds left. After driving lay up made by the Cougars Brian Jackson, Union’s Cooper would make two more free throws to put the lead at 103-97. After a free throw for each team in the final seconds, Union won the game 104-98.

For Union, Sellers led with 29 points in the game. Three players for Union recorded double-doubles including Deywane Lee with 21 points and 12 rebounds, Ben Frederick with 18 points and 11 rebounds, and Pierry Valmeria with 14 points and 11 rebounds. Corey Burkett added 10 points for Union.

Mountain State was led by Mersad Terzic with a game-high 30 points. Rodney Epperson added 21 points, Yusuf Baker tallied 16 points and 13 rebounds, Maurice Davis posted 11 points and 10 rebounds, while Hakim Rasul scored 10 points.

The Union Bulldogs and Lady Bulldogs will be in action next as they travel cross town to Lambuth University on Tuesday, January 10. Game times are 6 pm and 8 pm.


Steven Aldridge
Phone: (731) 661-5027
Sports Information
Fax: (731) 661-5182

News Release Archive

Connect with Union Athletics

Upcoming Events
Today is Sun, May 24, 2015

Excellence-Driven Christ-Centered People-Focused Future-Directed

Apply to Union Campus Visits Give to Union