Barefoots Joe exists to serve Union University and the broader community by providing a classical coffeehouse that acts as a place for conversation, exchange of ideas, and appreciation of the arts. Further, we strive to provide excellent products and service, upholding such values as the worth of the individual, care of the earth, and good stewardship.
To this end, we are guided by the following principles:
- Encourage natural conversations and free discourse by limiting programming to that which is demonstrated to be of artistic merit, influential in culture, and appropriate to the context.
- Work collaboratively with the broader campus by operating with a team of faculty, staff, and students whose expertise and experience in the various disciplines furthers the mission of Barefoots Joe.
- Demonstrate hospitality through excellent service and superior products.
- Provide quality products and events that both sustain the space and respect the budgets of our patrons.
History of Barefoots Joe
Formerly the student lounge, Barefoots Joe coffee house was transformed after the 2008 tornado by a team of students who designed and implemented the renovations. Much of the space is student-run by the Barefoots Leadership Team which is a team of students who are given leadership opportunity in their area of study - business, music, art, film, public relations, etc.
In a campus-wide collaborative effort, Barefoots Joe is managed by a team of faculty, staff, and students.
- Joy Moore, Director of Barefoots Joe
- Levi Hartsfield, Roaster
- Austin Gray, Venue Assistant
- Joe Dresser, Music Coordinator
- Ben Wright, Media Coordinator
- Brady Heyen, Sound Engineer
- Kathleen Hartsfield, Barista Supervisor