Union offers courses in Chinese 111 and Chinese 112. These courses are designed for beginning learners and are taught by Zhang Yu.
Why Study Chinese?
- China is one of the world’s oldest and richest continuous cultures, over 5000 years old.
- China is the most populous nation in the world, with about 1.3 billion people.
- About one fifth of our planet speaks Chinese. Knowing Mandarin Chinese will greatly increase the number of people with whom you can communicate.
- Mandarin Chinese is not only spoken in the People’s Republic of China and Taiwan, but also in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, the Philippines, and Mongolia.
- China is the second largest economy in the world, and China is one of largest trading partners of the United States.
- Many US companies do business in China and have long-term investments there, making even limited knowledge of Chinese a huge asset to employees of international companies.
- Studying a language does not just mean studying the words and grammar but also means getting to know the cultures of the people who speak that language. By studying Chinese you will gain an insight into the values and the feelings of the Chinese people.
- Chinese has a relatively uncomplicated grammar. Unlike the European languages, there is no verb conjugation (I have, you have, he has, etc.) and no noun declension (no worries about gender or number).