Welcome to the Department of Physical Education, Wellness and Sport website. It is our hope that one may find answers to questions concerning our profession along with the majors we offer. These majors are physical education with teaching licensure, exercise science/wellness, athletic training education, and sport management with emphases in communication, marketing, and ministry. All majors are 21st century job-market focused with preparing students in mind. read more
We only touch the surface with listing potential job opportunities such as:
- Physical Education, Sport Instruction, Coaching, Sports Officiating, and Sport Psychology
- Sport Marketing and Management
- Sport Medicine
- Pre-Professional Training for Allied Health Sciences
- Higher Education
Come join over 175 majors in a dynamic department and profession. We encourage students to become involved in our student organizations while learning alongside a great teaching faculty, including four who hold a doctorate. Please do not hesitate to contact any of our faculty for more specific information on our department.
Dr. Linn Stranak, Chair
- Sport management major Brett Botta has been awarded a full scholarship to the Sport Administration Master's Program at the University of North Carolina which selects only nine students nation-wide out of 150 candidates. Botta will serve as a Teaching Assistant (TA), assist UNC personnel in game operations, plan and execute ACC and NCAA championship events, assist during meetings regarding eligibility, drug education, and counseling, and learn the NCAA Compliance software.
- Union University’s Athletic Training Education Program and the The Department of Physical Education, Wellness and Sport is proud to recognize the accomplishments of Dionna Linn, recipient of the 2013 Tennessee Athletic Trainer’s Society (TATS) Undergraduate Scholarship
- Dr. Matt Brunet presented at the 2012 TAPHERD Convention in Murfreesboro on the topic of The Impact of Intercollegiate Athletics on Undergraduate Enrollment at a Small, Faith-Based Institution
- Physical Education major, Cristin Sullivan, was selected for the 2011 Southern District AAHPERD Future Professional Leadership Conference in Johnson City, Tennessee
- Dr. Matt Brunet has submitted the article "The Impact of Intercollegiate Athletics on Undergraduate Enrollment at a Small, Faith-Based Institution" for publication in the Journal of Sport Administration and Supervision
- Dr. Linn Stranak was named to the Constitution Committee of TAHPERD and his research has been accepted for presentation at the state convention.
- Adjunct faculty member, Steven Aldridge, was named for the fifth time, TranSouth Conference Sports Information Director of the Year in 2010-11
- Adjunct faculty member, Tommy Sadler, was named TranSouth Conference Athletic Director of the Year
- Mark Campbell was named the NAIA Coach of the Year in 2010
- Students Roberta Turner and Blake Mashour were named the TAHPERD and AAHPERD Students of the Year for 2010-11 and Mashour was also named the TATS winner
- Dr. Julie Powell has completed her journey to all 30 Major League baseball parks and continues to visit other sport venues
- Dr. Gary Johnson, for the eighth consecutive year, was named the TranSouth Cross Country Coach of the Year in 2010