Instructions for Commencement
Saturday, July 25, 2015, 11 a.m.
Graduation exercises will be held at West Jackson Baptist Church, which is located at 580 Oil Well Road. The church is located off of the Highway 45 Bypass north.
If you are coming from Memphis, you will take the Highway 45 Bypass exit north and Oil Well Road is the second light.
At Oil Well Road you will take a left and the church will be on your left after you pass the Kroger shopping center. We will line up in The Courts (gym) located on the south side of the building.
- Since we will not have a rehearsal for graduation, please read instructions carefully and please be on time to line-up for last minute instructions.
- Report to "The Courts" at West Jackson Baptist Church by 10:00 a.m. for robing and line-up. Please leave personal items with family or friends.
Line up in alphabetical order according to degree and then last name. Please make every effort to be on time for the line-up by school and by degree.
Doctoral graduates: please drape hood on left forearm as you are lining up.
- The processional will enter the sanctuary down the left aisle facing the platform. Graduates are seated in both center aisles with each line broken by the center aisle.
Faculty will enter the Sanctuary using the right aisle.
- Remain standing until after the invocation. (Men should remove caps only during the invocation and benediction and should be kept on the rest of the time).
- Conferring of Degrees:
- Dr. Ben Mitchell will present the class to President Oliver who will respond briefly.
- The first row of graduates will rise together and then proceed out of the sanctuary to the right to the ramp and onto the platform. As the line gets shorter the next row will proceed to the platform and each row thereafter.
- The dean of your school or college will call the names, graduates will then step onto the platform
(do not cross the platform until your name is called.) Walk across and receive the diploma from Dr. Oliver as you shake his hand. Accept the diploma in your left hand and shake with your right hand.
- As you leave the platform, the tassel should be changed to the left side of the cap, then proceed down the ramp to your seat and be seated. (Graduate students do not move their tassels. Graduate students wear their tassels on the left.)
- Recessional: Leave down the center aisle in double rows following the platform party.