Welcome to TechBrief
, an e-newsletter that shares important information and progress in Information Technology at Union University.
In this issue, you'll learn about
- uTech Connect seminars - Tuesdays 3:00 starting October 1
- protecting your identity and devices
- simplified student print allocation
- Quick Bits & Bytes on lab reservations, IT brochure for students, student/employee directories, training sign-up.
Connect to enhance teaching, learning
Fall weekly sessions will promote instructional technology
Connect and learn with your peers each Tuesday afternoon in the new weekly workshop series uTech Connect!
Log in now to view the complete Fall schedule on the uTech portal site. Regardless of your campus location or academic discipline, you'll want to hear from colleagues actively involved in excellence-driven instructional technology.
At 3:00 p.m. Tuesday October 1, Tabitha Washburn will kick off the series by reviewing steps you need to take before and after each Moodlerooms course.
Reserve Tuesdays 3:00 from October 1 until November 19 for great weekly insights. Presentations will be 45 to 50 minutes, with time for Q&A. There's no need to sign up. You can attend in person or via WebEx links on the Fall schedule.
uTech reConnect will store the presentations for later viewing if you can't attend a session or if you want to review it.
Resources from Spring's uTech Expo 2013 are on the uTech site as well - audio recordings, video, PowerPoints, handouts, more.
Coming soon: uTech SOCIAL - interact via Twitter, FaceBook!
Who's protecting your information and your devices? You!
Union University is an official member of STOP. THINK. CONNECT., a national initiative promoting best practices for internet use.
STOP - Before using the internet, take time to understand the risks and learn how to spot potential problems.
THINK - How could your actions online impact you, your family or the University? Where is that link going? Is that email really from someone you know? What are the risks of a wireless network?
CONNECT - Enjoy the internet with confidence, knowing you've taken the right steps to safeguard yourself, your information and your devices.
Learn more at:
Join the STOP. THINK. CONNECT. conversation at facebook.com/stopthinkconnect or twitter.com/stopthnkconnect
STOP. THINK. CONNECT. is a joint initiative between the Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG) and the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA). The U.S. Department of Homeland Security provides the US Government's leadership for the campaign.
Student Print Quota Simplified and More Convenient
Effective this Fall, PaperWise - the print quota system used for Union students - will follow three main print allocation periods instead of the six periods previously refreshed. The total number of overall prints for students will be largely unaffected and will simplify the allocation periods into larger blocks of time.
Students will receive a new quota of pages at the beginning of Fall, Winter and Summer periods. Each undergraduate student gets 450 pages per period. Each graduate student gets 1,000 pages per period.
If you're interested in the details of PaperWise, read more here
Quick Bits & Bytes
To reserve a computer lab...
- For C-2, C-3 or BAC-45 student labs, contact Phyllis Davenport at 731-661-5279 or email@example.com
- For the C-1 employee training lab, contact Tabitha Washburn at 731-661-6522 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Also... if you or someone you know has access to my.ServiceU.com, labs can be requested there for review/approval by Phyllis or Tabitha.
To find the latest version of our IT brochure for new students ...
- Visit the IT website at www.uu.edu/it - in the Quick Links section, you'll find the color brochure we give to new students
- For free printed copies of the brochure, contact Chris Johnson at 731-661-HELP or email@example.com
To find student/employee directories with contacts and pictures...
- Log into portal.uu.edu
- On the red UU Resources menu, select UU Contact Directories and Pictures
- Student directories also include email addresses
To view or register for Moodlerooms, QualityMatters or other individual/group training...
Questions? Need help?
Send from an @my.uu.edu address
Log in with your @my.uu.edu address
View past issues of TechBrief