Union University seeks a qualified individual for the position of part-time Serials and Electronic Resources Associate to conduct serials management duties, monitor and maintain patron access to electronic resources, and provide support to librarians working with serials and electronic resources.
Union University is a private, coeducational liberal arts-based university offering bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. The campus is located in Jackson, Tenn. (80 miles northeast of Memphis) with additional campuses in Germantown and Hendersonville, Tenn. Union University currently enrolls more than 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 40 states and 30 countries. Union University stands as a national leader among colleges and universities in promoting a Christian worldview and a Christ-centered approach to education. Union is consistently ranked among the nation’s premier Christian universities and has been recognized as a top tier institution each year since 1997 by U.S. News & World Report, which also recognized Union at a national level for undergraduate teaching excellence. Union was also recently recognized by the Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For,” one of only 30 four-year institutions to receive this honor roll designation.
Duties for this position include:
· Receives, checks-in, processes, and disseminates all print serial subscriptions using OCLC’s WorldShare Management System.
· Alerts serials librarian to title and frequency changes, cessations and any other major changes in print serial subscriptions.
· Maintains usage statistics for print and electronic serials.
· Maintains retention schedule for print serials not included on the bindery list.
· Maintains order and neatness in current periodicals and bound serials stacks.
· Submits claims regularly to publishers or subscription agent regarding non-receipt of serial issues.
· Reports duplicates to publishers or subscription agent.
· Assists serials librarian with overseeing student assistants assigned to serials area.
· Assists serials librarian with serials inventory maintenance.
· Monitors and maintains patron access to electronic resources which includes maintaining links to resources, the university’s proxy server and the library’s online catalog.
Other Job Functions
· Works a flexible schedule that includes evening and/or weekend hours.
· Engages in a planned process of professional development.
· Cross-trains and assists with special projects with other department staff.
· Other duties as assigned.
Position is part-time, approximately 28 hours per week. Schedule is generally daytime hours with occasional evening and weekend work in rotation.
Graduation from an accredited college or university or a combination of four years of college education and professional work experience is required. Good communication skills and the ability to work successfully in a team environment are also required. Preference will be given to applicants with experience working in a library or information center. Preference will also be given to applicants possessing previous web management skills.
Successful candidates must be professing Christians who are active members of a local church, enthusiastically support Union University’s Identity, Mission and Core Values, and articulate a Christian worldview in their work and life.
Interested individuals may access an application below. Send the completed application, resume, and a letter expressing interest to: Human Resources, Union University, 1050 Union University Drive, Jackson, TN 38305, or by fax to 731-661-5177, or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women and minority candidates are encouraged to apply.