JACKSON, Tenn. – Oct. 25, 2011 – A family-friendly tailgate party, a new class of Sports Hall of Fame inductees and the class of 1962’s 50-year reunion will be the key features of Union University’s 2011 Homecoming week Oct. 31-Nov. 5.
Among the events that are part of Homecoming this year:
• “Union Night” on the Great Lawn Nov. 4, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. This family-oriented event will feature student organizations selling food, party inflatables, hot air balloon rides, a rock climbing wall, live music, face painting, train rides and other activities. The evening will conclude with a fireworks show over Miller Tower.
• the Union University Sports Hall of Fame induction dinner, Nov. 4 at 6 p.m. Inductees include Stan Little, Charlotte Hart Beard, Rod Hari, Glenn Yancey and Sam Kern.
• the 50-year reunion for the class of 1962 Nov. 4, with special recognition at the 10 a.m. Homecoming chapel service, followed by a luncheon and chartered bus tour of the former campus in downtown Jackson.
• the annual Alumni Awards presentation, Nov. 4 during chapel at 10 a.m. with a luncheon to follow. Award recipients are Tom McAfee, president of Hallmark Systems, Inc., in Macon, Ga., with the Outstanding Young Alumnus Award and Jerol Swaim, president of Williams Baptist College in Walnut Ridge, Ark., with the Distinguished Alumnus Award.
• Jon Foreman and Brooke Waggoner in concert Nov. 4 at 8 p.m. in the G.M. Savage Memorial Chapel. Foreman is the co-founder and lead vocalist/guitarist of the band Switchfoot. Tickets to the general public are $10 each and are available at www.uu.edu/events/homecomingconcert/tickets.
• Lady Bulldogs basketball game Nov. 5 at 2 p.m. against the University of St. Francis (Ill.), followed by the Bulldogs playing Belhaven University. The Homecoming queen and court will be presented at halftime of the women’s game, and the Presidential Homecoming Cup will be awarded at halftime of the men’s game.
Several academic departments will also hold reunion events for their alumni during the weekend.
A complete list of Homecoming week activities is available at www.uu.edu/events/homecoming/2011. For more information about any Homecoming event, contact Union’s Office of Alumni Services at (800) 338-6644.