About > School Highlights
- Dedicated Hendersonville Campus which includes 13,000 sq ft of a 26,00 sq ft building for nursing education (not including classrooms) that includes six simulation labs, cadaver lab, health assessment lab, and skills lab.
- Added 1new staff and 5 new faculties added to the School of Nursing.
- NCLEX pass rate for undergraduate graduates 100%.
- Added four new high-fidelity simulators to the Hendersonville Campus. Union University now has approximately 15 high-fidelity simulators among the three campuses.
- Remodeled White Hall classrooms for traditional nursing students to support increased enrollment.
- Received full accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Program through 2022 by Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs.
- 100% pass rate on MSN - Nurse Practitioner ANCC examination.
- Two one-week mission trips to Dominican Republic provided for 70+ students and several faculty to provide community clinics to approximately 1200 patients and anesthetic services for surgical procedures.
- Glynis Blackard, MSN, RN appointed Chair of Undergraduate Nursing Program - Hendersonville Campus.
- Accreditation visit by Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs to reaffirm MSN program.
- Began the building of a new campus in Hendersonville, TN where nursing will provide an extension campus that begins in spring 2012.
- 88.5% pass rate for Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Anesthesia track (first time test takers).
- Started RN-BSN program located within Jackson-Madison County General Hospital. RN-BSN program led by Dr. Denise Thornton-Orr.
- Three new faculties began serving in the undergraduate or graduate areas of the School of Nursing.
- Admitted the first class of 15-month BSNA students. Admitted 75 students in transitioning from a 12-month BSNA track to a 15-month BSNA track that incorporates non-nursing prerequisites.
- Fall enrollment remains strong with 633 nursing majors. 449 undergraduate nursing majors and 184 graduate nursing majors.
- Awarding of first Doctor of Nursing Practice degrees to 13 doctoral students.
- Dr. Evans from School of Nursing co-led four undergraduate students on a GO trip to China.
- 100% pass rate for Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Practitioner Tracks (first time test takers).
- Three faculties from School of Nursing led 25 students on a mission trip to Dominican Republic.
- Four faculties from School of Nursing led 32 students on a mission trip to Dominican Republic.
- 96.7% pass rate for undergraduate pre-licensure nursing majors. The state average was 93.43%.
- Gained full approval from CCNE for Post-Master's DNP Program. Accredited through 2016.
- 100% pass rate for Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Anesthesia Track (first time test takers).
- Record fall enrollment of 645 nursing majors in School of Nursing. This encompasses 460 undergraduate and 185 graduate nursing majors.
- 5th straight year of record enrollment increases. Growth of 55% over last 5 years or average growth of 11% per year over the last 5 years.
- 100% board pass rate for August 2010 nurse anesthesia graduates.
- Started second class of 16 DNP students.
- Providence Hall and the Center for Excellence in Health Care Practice dedicated.
- Construction completed for Center for Excellence in Health Care Practice in Providence Hall (one of largest simulation and clinical laboratory environments in southern part of US).
- School of Nursing in White Hall undergoing significant reconstruction to prepare for increased enrollment and new faculty. Two 72 seat classrooms and 8 new faculty offices.
- Received METIMan and second birthing simulator for Center for Excellence in Health Care Practice.
- Germantown Campus simulation environment has been expanded with the addition of birthing and pediatric simulators.
- 100% pass rate on NCLEX-RN for December 2009 BSNA graduates from the Jackson and Germantown Campuses.
- 7 faculties and 56 graduate nursing students went to the Dominican Republic and Haiti to serve the community of Dominican Republic and earthquake victims of Haiti.
- Admitted the largest class of BSNA students in the history of the School of Nursing. A class size of 72 BSNA students were admitted between the Jackson and Germantown Campuses.
- Enrolled a record 644 nursing majors in the School of Nursing. This is a 11.2% increase from fall 2008 headcount. 168 of the nursing majors are graduate nursing students.
- Started first cohort of 18 DNP students. The DNP students will strive to complete the post-master's curriculum in executive leadership, nurse practitioner, or nurse anesthesia.
- Established the educational option of completing the dual track of DNP/MBA.
- Employed 9 new full-time faculty and 2 part-time faculty in School of Nursing. The School of Nursing has grown to a faculty and staff of 47 individuals.
- Gained SACS approval to implement new Doctor Nursing Practice (DNP) program.
- Partnered with Dr. Williams, OB/GYN, in providing an educational simulation experience to undergraduate and nurse anesthesia students. The simulation experience involved a simulated birthing mother having fetal distress with a prolapsed cord.
- Expanded simulation opportunities on Jackson Campus with the addition of iStan simulator from METI. The iStan is the most advanced simulator presently used in educational programs.
- Simulation faculty in School of Nursing served as the faculty unveiling the new METI-man simulator at the HPSN conference.
- Nurse practitioner faculty took 8 nurse practitioner students on a mission trip to Dominican Republic.
- Nurse anesthesia faculty took 13 nurse anesthesia students on a mission trip to Dominican Republic.
- Enrolled a record 68 BSNA students between the Germantown and Jackson Campuses.
- Greater Faculty and Board of Trustees at Union University approved the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program (DNP). Upon approval from SACS, the DNP Program will begin in fall 2009.
- New two-bay simulation environment was established on the Germantown Campus with a METI simulator.
- Record fall 08 SON enrollment with 579 nursing majors enrolled. This is a 14% increase from the 07 fall headcount.
- Graduated the first class of 21 nurse anesthesia students.
- Baptist Memorial Healthcare Center of Excellence in Healthcare Practice and Medical Education Research Institute provided the first continuing education conference August 15, 2008 to 48 paramedics. The conference provided anatomical instruction, simulation experiences, and guest lecture.
- METIVision was purchased from METI to enhance the recording and assessment opportunities of the simulation experience.
- Baptist Memorial Healthcare Center of Excellence in Healthcare Practice provided a second continuing education conference August 23, 2008 to 40+ cardiac nurses. The one-day conference in White Hall provided anatomical instruction, simulation experiences, and guest lecturers.
- Provided the first orientation for E-Campus (SON online educational process) for students enrolled in the RN-BSN online track, Master of Science in Nursing in Education track, or Master of Science in Nursing in Nursing Administration track. Orientation occurred at The Olford Center.
- The faculty had a record year in publishing articles and presenting at national conferences. The faculty published 8 articles in peer-reviewed journals/books and presented in 10 different conferences. Some faculty also received recognized honors from other institutions.
- School of Nursing faculty approved the development of a Doctor of Nursing Practice Program. Program is projected to enroll the first students in fall 2009.
- School of Nursing faculty approved the development of a fully online RN-BSN track. Online courses for the nursing content of the RN-BSN track will begin fall 2008.
- Kathy O'Connor, MBA, MSN, FNP, BC was named the first Associate Dean for the School of Nursing.
- Dr. Mark Kossick named Professor and Senior Fellow in Nursing. He is the first faculty member in the School of Nursing to receive such an honor that allows him to focus on scholarly writing. Dr. Kossick will continue to teach nurse anesthesia students in the classroom while continuing his scholarly writing in electrocardiography.
- Third class of nurse anesthesia students (25 students) began the nurse anesthesia program. Over 70 nurse anesthesia students are in some phase of the program
- The largest class of BSNA students (51) in the history of the School of Nursing began January 2, 2008.
- NCLEX-RN pass rate 97% for 2007 calendar year (Tennessee Board of Nursing)
- Record enrollment of 523 nursing majors in the history of the School of Nursing with a projected nonduplicating headcount of 570 nursing majors.
- Expanded to nursing faculty to become the largest in the history of the School of Nursing.
- Center of Excellence in Health Care Practice renamed Baptist Memorial Health Care Center of Excellence in Health Care Practice. It is located on the Jackson Campus of Union University
- Enrolled the first cohort of Nurse Practitioner students on the Jackson Campus. The cohort option for Nurse Practitioner students remains on the Germantown campus.
- Employed the first nursing faculty member dedicated to simulation instruction
- Expanded simulation educational opportunities by receiving the wireless interactive Noelle 575 birthing simulator and baby Hal. Union University was the first institution in the country to received the Noelle 575 birthing simulator.
- School of Nursing moved to the new White Hall on the Jackson Campus providing a 40-station computer lab, 2 clinical labs, 3 state of the art classrooms, 25 faculty/staff offices, 2 administrative suites, and 2 simulation labs housing 5 METI simulators (infant, pediatric, 2 ECS, 1 HPS). The birthing simulators will be arriving in July.
- Enrolled the second cohort of 30 nurse anesthesia students on the Jackson Campus.
- Employed an unprecedented 13 new full-time nursing faculty members, one part-time faculty member, two new staff members and a simulation specialist, over the last 18 months due to the expansion of the educational offerings at Union University’s School of Nursing.
- Initiated the METI undergraduate curriculum for BSN students on the Jackson campus.
- Record enrollment of 482 nursing majors at Union University with a projected non-duplicating headcount of 520.
- Enrolled the largest MSN cohort class since the origination of the program.
- The first cohort class of family nurse practitioner and nurse practitioner/clinical nurse specialist students enrolled.
- Routine five-year onsite review by Tennessee Board of Nursing without recommendations for revision.
- Enrolled the first 14-month BSN degree completion students on Jackson and Germantown campuses.
- Reaffirmation of Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education accreditation status. No verbal recommendations noted with final accreditation reaffirmation expected fall 2006.
- Purchase of Medical Education Technologies Inc. (METI) Human Patient Simulator and establishment of simulation lab in School of Nursing.
- Tennessee Board of Nursing reports that Union University School of Nursing has the highest NCLEX (licensure exam) pass rate of any baccalaureate nursing program in Tennessee during 2005.
- COA approval of nurse anesthesia track with the establishment of the first nurse anesthesia track at Union University.
- Union University recognized as having the largest RN-BSN and Second-Degree Accelerated educational tracks in Tennessee.
- 416 nursing majors enrolled in School of Nursing.
- Onsite review by Council on Accreditation for Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) without any recommendations for revision.
- Dr. Tim Smith named the sixth dean of the School of Nursing.