Doctor of Nursing Practice > Post-Master's DNP > MBA option with DNP Track
MBA option with DNP Track
Students enrolled in the DNP program may be dual enrolled in the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program.
The MBA program in the McAfee School of Business Administration at
Union University is a 48 credit hour program that is offered in a traditional classroom setting one night per week on the Jackson and Germantown Campuses.
Twelve credit hours from the DNP program apply towards the 48 credit hour MBA program.
The ability to serve as an executive leader within the hospital or academic setting requires a breadth of knowledge and skills that encompasses several disciplines.
To prepare future nursing leaders for these high profile positions within hospitals or academic institutions, this track offers the nurse the opportunity to serve along side leaders of
healthcare or academic institutions in gaining the knowledge, skills, and wisdom needed to lead healthcare institutions in the future.
The student will strengthen their understanding of the profession of nursing while gaining business principles to support the future leadership role.
- Current unencumbered RN and APN licensure (if applicable) in state of residence
- Eligible for licensure as RN and/or APN in Tennessee
- Cummulative GPA minimum 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for graduate coursework
- Completed Bachelor of Science degree, preferably in nursing, from an accredited program
- Completed Master's degree in Nursing from an accredited program. Degrees other than MSN may be considered but may require additional coursework prior to enrollment
- Current National Certification for NP or Nurse Anesthesia track
- If not a US Citizen, applicants must complete the International Student application, TOEFL, and have international transcripts evaluated through World Education Services
- Three letters of professional/academic reference specifying the applicant's capabilities for doctoral study (one letter of reference must be from current supervisor)
- Statement of past clinical and/or work experiences, scholarly activities and com-munity service that supports one's future goals in obtaining a practice doctorate
- GRE and GMAT not required
Delivery of Academic Program
- Each MBA class meets one night per week for eight weeks on the Jackson or Germantown campus. A fully online MBA program offering is also available.
- The prerequisite courses may be waived with completion of equivalent undergraduate or graduate course work.
Prerequisite courses (self-paced and online):
||Foundations of Accounting
||Foundations of Economics
||Foundations of Management
||Foundations of Business Statistics
||Business Policy and Strategic Management
||Human Behavior in Organizations
||Production Operations Management
|Nursing Electives (hours from the DNP program applied to the MBA degree)
Total Credit Hours: 36
Graduate Admissions Checklist
- All non-traditional nursing students must complete the Union University School of Nursing's applications only.
You are not required to apply to the university separately.
DNP Graduate Application (.pdf)
- If you are not a U.S. citizen, an international application (.pdf) must be completed and submitted with your
DNP Graduate Application (.pdf).
All international transcripts must be evaluated by an accredited evaluating agency found at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services' website:
- Personal Statement: Please provide a statement of professional goals. Topics to be included are:
- Why you wish to become a Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Educator, or Nurse Administrator/Leader
- What you plan to do with this degree, including long term goals
- How you have prepared for success in this program
- Application Fee: The application fee is $50 and is non-refundable.
You have the option to pay online by credit card.
You may also pay by check or money order with your paper application.
- Transcripts: Official Transcripts from ALL colleges attended. (Official means they are received at Union University in a sealed envelope from the college you attended).
We will accept official transcripts sent electronically through eSCRIP-SAFE.
If you attended an international college, you will need to have those transcripts evaluated by one of the agencies found on www.naces.org.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of professional/academic reference specifying the applicant's capabilities for graduate study to include one letter of
reference from the current supervisor. Letter of Recommendation forms are a part of the Union University Graduate Studies Application.
- Provide proof of BSN or MSN degree completion, if applicable.
- Provide proof of current RN Licensure.
- Provide proof of Undergraduate Statistics.
- Submission of a Curriculum Vitae.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for admission. All application documents must be received prior to the application deadlines. Incomplete applications will be considered ineligible for admission.
*Please allow 2-4 weeks after application packet has been submitted to be received in the Office of Admissions and up to 2 weeks to process application. Applicant will be notified by email when application has been processed.
*Upon acceptance into the program, the following items must be completed:
- Current CPR Health Care Provider Certification
- Immunization Records
- Clear urine drug screen
- Clear criminal background check