Union University seeks two (2) qualified individual for the positions of part-time, Security Officers to serve in an on-call status.
Please note that these positions include nights and weekends. These positions may be assigned to any one of the three shifts, which are: first shift - 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., second shift - 3:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. and third shift - 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
Union University is a private, coeducational liberal arts-based university offering bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. The campus is located in Jackson, Tenn. (80 miles northeast of Memphis) with additional campuses in Germantown and Hendersonville, Tenn. Union University currently enrolls more than 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 40 states and 30 countries. Union University stands as a national leader among colleges and universities in promoting a Christian worldview and a Christ-centered approach to education. Union is consistently ranked among the nation’s premier Christian universities and has been recognized as a top tier institution each year since 1997 by U.S. News & World Report, which also recognized Union at a national level for undergraduate teaching excellence. Union was also recently recognized by the Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For,” one of only 30 four-year institutions to receive this honor roll designation.
The Safety and Security Officers part-time, serve in an on-call status as concierges for the University with the goal of creating an environment in which all members of the University community feel safe and served. The individuals in this position are responsible for carrying out the mission of the Department of Safety and Security, providing for both the security and safety of the campus community. Duties include:
· Be available to work during one of the three established shifts on an as-needed, on-call basis.
· Serve and protect students, faculty, staff and visitors of Union University.
· Act as a concierge for the University, assisting University constituents with any issues that may arise.
· Conduct both walking and mobile patrols of interior and exterior locations/areas and remain highly visible.
· Monitor and control parking according to parking program specifications; check parking lots and vicinity for abnormal activity.
· Staff Welcome House, monitoring all campus entry (vehicular and pedestrian) and egress. This to include traffic direction, visitor assistance and entry validation.
· Maintain a constant alertness for signs or indications of unusual or abnormal conditions.
· Respond to access/securing requests in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Key and Access Control programs.
· Complete required paperwork in compliance with the Safety & Security Operations Manual, including but not limited to: field reports, operation notes, incident reports, accident reports and traffic citations. Maintain department records, reports and files as required.
· Assist with care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies.
· Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops as assigned.
· Provide emergency/crisis/routine response as situations arise, in accordance with University and departmental policy, Federal, State and local laws.
Graduation from high school or GED. This position requires a valid driver’s license. Preference will be given to applicants with law enforcement, military background, or certification as an Unarmed Officer with the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance or ability to be certified required.
Successful candidates must be professing Christians who are active members of a local church, enthusiastically support Union University’s Identity, Mission and Core Values, and articulate a Christian worldview in their work and life.
Physical requirements for this position include the ability to stand for up to four hours per shift; walk one mile at a moderate pace; lift to shoulder height forty (40) pounds; ascend and descend three flights while carrying up to twenty (20) pounds and respond quickly in emergency situations.
Interested individuals may access an application below. Send the completed application, resume, and a letter expressing interest to: Human Resources, Union University, 1050 Union University Drive, Jackson, TN 38305, or by fax to 731-661-5177, or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women and minority candidates are encouraged to apply.