About Us > News
APhA Foundation Names 2013 Student Scholarship Program Recipients
[Excerpt from official APhA news release] The American Pharmacists Association (APhA) Foundation today announced the 2013 APhA Foundation Student Scholarship Program recipients. The student scholarships are awarded to recognize exceptional demonstration of leadership skills and academics through active involvement in the APhA Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP). (Ashley Pugh - Union University (Mary Louise Andersen Scholar) is included among the recipients.)
The recipients will be recognized on March 3, 2013 at the APhA Foundation Contributor's Breakfast and at the APhA Foundation Student Scholarship Reunion during the 2013 APhA Annual Meeting and Exposition in Los Angeles. Scholarships will be officially presented at the APhA-ASP Closing Reception on Monday, March 4 at 5:30pm. The scholarships recognize those students who chose to invest their time through active involvement in their school's APhA-ASP chapter. These exceptional students help shape the future of the pharmacy profession while managing the demands of a full-time curriculum.
UUSOP Honduras Medical Mission Team
5 faculty members, 1 alumnus and 27 students from the UUSOP went to Tegucigalpa, Honduras, January 5-12, 2013, with World Gospel Outreach to participate in a medical mission trip. Not only did the UUSOP team work in the pharmacy, they also assisted dental and medical teams with seeing more than 2,000 patients during the week. Additionally, the team played with children from nearby villages and provided treatment and hair washing to remove lice. They shared the gospel of Christ with both the children and adults that passed through each medical brigade. Several members also poured a concrete floor in the pastor's one-room house and another concrete pad so the pastor could add on to his home in the future. Many hearts and lives were blessed not only of those being served but of those doing the serving.
AAPS Chapter Tours Cancer Research Institute of West Tennessee
On Friday, November 9th, 2012, ten first and second year pharmacy student members of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) chapter at Union University School of Pharmacy toured the Cancer Research Institute of West TN (CRIWT) in Henderson, TN. Students met with Jerry Thornthwaite, Ph.D., who treated them to a tour of the research facilities. Dr. Thornthwaite described the ongoing research at CRIWT related to detection, treatment, and prevention of cancer. Dr. Thornthwaite showed students flow cytometers used in his research, including devices for which he holds patents and has licensed to manufacturers for use in commercial flow cytometer products. The Union students viewed cellular DNA under a fluorescence microscope that was visualized using reagents developed by Dr. Thornthwaite. The tour was a delightful introduction for the students to novel research being conducted in our local community.
Pugh wins national pharmacy scholarship
Ashley Pugh, a third-year pharmacy student at Union University, was one of 12 pharmacy students nationally to receive a 2013 student scholarship from the American Pharmacists Association Foundation. The awards were presented March 4 at the APhA annual meeting in Los Angeles. “I am humble... - READ MORE
- 10/3/2012 - School of Pharmacy sponsors blood drive
- 9/6/2012 - Pharmacy students hold health screenings at Generals game
- 8/22/2012 - Stoneking describes diabetes, amputation as gifts from God
- 6/27/2012 - Full accreditation status granted for Union Doctor of Pharmacy program
- 5/16/2012 - School of Pharmacy students, faculty win AACP scholarships
- 3/21/2012 - Blanton, Coffer win Preceptor of the Year awards from Union’s School of Pharmacy
- 2/1/2012 - King receives $10,000 AACP grant for pharmacy research
- 7/30/2011 - Summer graduation concludes ‘marvelous’ year at Union University
- 2/23/2011 - Pharmacy students meet spiritual, physical needs in Belize
- 8/25/2010 - Union dedicates Providence Hall, a testimony to God’s care for the university
- 7/27/2010 - Union completes construction on School of Pharmacy’s Providence Hall
- 6/30/2010 - Monahan presents research on Parkinson’s disease at Ireland conference
- View All Union News Releases